Saturday, August 4, 2012

agencies to get Tara

The process for adoption is really hard. I have had lots and lots of friends of friends be in touch with me thinking there is a shortcut. There is not one. The rules are getting harder. And things will probably take just as long or longer than before. And as non resident Indians or foreigners, it is getting more likely that you will need to be happy to adopt an older child and possibly one with special needs. We leave it to God to send us Tara in whatever form is appropriate.

For the Home Study agency, there are only 2 choices in Nevada. A Home Study is an approval that you are fit to adopt. It is a license, not a privilege to adopt. Often people think it's easy or a breeze, but it is the hardest way to become a parent. We are using Premier Adoption agency. I have started the process by writing a big fat check. And filling out forms. Step 1 is getting fingerprints and child abuse clearances from every place that you have lived since the age of 18. The older you get, the harder it is to remember every single address. Let's hope I have recollected enough for the checks to come out clear again. You would think it would be easier 2d time around. But I cannot find the forms I filled out last time in 2009 so it's like starting over on gathering the data.

For our placement agency (the one that works to match you with a child and deal with the process in India and getting your child home), I am using Journeys of the Heart. They appear to be the agency with the most historic and current experience with India. Many agencies have recently shut down their India programme. My previous agency, MAPS, no longer works with India. The system is different now. Before, your agency or you could find a child and then seek Indian central goverment (CARA) approval. Now, fears of corruption have led CARA to try to assign children available to parents applying. There have been many delays in India. Many times, India has just shut down their new applications. Supposedly, to overhaul the system. Then to clear the backlog. And now, they are accepting only 100 new appications, on the 1st of the month. Apparently, within minutes they fill up, and if your agency did not manage to get you registered, you are out of luck and have to wait another month. I have heard that many orphanages are reporting less available children. Why? Where are they going? I hate to think about what is happening in such cases. I will have the choice to state a preference for an orphanage. It is hard to say what I will do as there are so few children on the lists. But I am optimistic that I will again be matched with a Punjabi child so that I can maintain our cultural experiences.

Next, I have to work on the remainder of the Home Study application packet. Lots of medical, financial, and other information, as well as references from people who can vouch for me. I am hoping it will be done by the end of August or early September.

Then I will be needing to have at least 4 meetings with the social worker. One at home so they can see how we live. The rest to provide a deep and thorough insight into me, Sofi's life and the life we offer to Tara.

It's overwhelming how much is required to be done. Just have to plod on and get it done. Then wait. Wait. Wait. And pray for our file to be registered with CARA quickly. Then wait. And wait some more. There is no way to be sure how long it will take to find Tara. She must be at least 10 months younger than Sofi. So she would have to be born on June 1, 2010 or later. She is quite possibly already 2 years old. Somewhere. Now knowing what is ahead of her. We can only pray that she is in a place that is kind and warm-hearted so she knows love.

No comments:

Post a Comment