Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hallelulah!!! NOC has been issued.

I almost cannot believe it is done, as it's been such a delayed process, but the Indian government's agency CARA (Central Adoption Resouce Authority), in New Delhi, has yesterday issued the crucial No Objection Certificate.

I had personally submitted the papers on Sept 15th, expected clearance around the 28th, had some delays and when I went in yesterday to check on things, it turns out they had lost the Article 5 letter that the US Embassy had sent back in August. Some quick running around, bluffing my way into the Embassy without an appointment, begging them to immediately get me another copy, and they happily obliged, running back to CARA and astonishing them that within about an hour I was back with the missing Article 5. Apparently this eagerness impressed them as they were touched to have someone soo enthusiastic to be a parent and they found my attitude to be really positive and made them feel good to issue NOC. I told them I was praying to take custody of Sofi before Diwali so we could start the next year together and this touched them. Although they told me it wouldn't be ready until Thursday, unbeknownst to me, they immediately issued the NOC and couriered it back to the orphanage in Jalandhar. Sadly they would not let me carry it, saying they had to send it directly to the orphanage, but it is hoped to arrive in 4-5 days.

Now I am allowed to finally take physical custody of Sofi. A huge step forward. It will be a relief to have her with me instead of having to go to visit her at the orphanage. No doubt it will mark a big milestone in our relationship as we will now have private time to bond and we will able to do normal things, like go to the park, play with toys, watch baby einstein, have mummy-made food, etc. It is really exciting to be one step forward.

Next step to taking custody, is that I just have to finalize the affidavit required for custody; so a little more running around in the outdoor law chambers in Jalandhar. Am rushing back on the train tonight so we can work on getting the case filed ASAP. The ashram has not yet appointed a lawyer, so it will be another round of pressing and pushing things to be done now, instead of whenever someone can be bothered. And hopefully before the inevitable shutdown over Diwali! And appointing my own lawyer to ensure things proceed as best as possible. Since the Jalandhar courts have been going super slow with adoptions lately, it will no doubt be delays in getting hearing dates, adjournments, and more tests in patience and tolerance. At least Sofi will be with me though.

After the adoption case, then it's time to get her a birth certificate, an Indian passport, a visa for the US, trying to figure out if/how she will be able to get permission to enter the UK, and hopefully on a plane outta here to London and eventually the US of A.

Today is a good day! I am grateful to be one huge step closer to being declared Sofi's legal mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment