Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Government paperwork is finally pending at CARA...

All summer long, as I melted in the unusually high temperatures with rare moments in the AC, I was praying and asking the ashram to send my file to the official Indian government agency, CARA (Central Adoption Resource Authority).  It is CARA's NOC (no objection clearance) that is crucial in progressing things. After NOC is when I will finally be able to take custody of Sofi - as long as we stay within India - while the adoption case gets started and ends.

I had been asking that the ashram send the papers to CARA since early July. July passed with no movement. August passed with a constant stream of promises and excuses. September continued with more of the same. It is hard to see why things just languish and instead of things getting done, they just don't get done. Everyone who hears how long and horrible things are for me here just assumes this must be a case of someone looking for a bribe! No one has asked directly. The senior people are honest and sincere, but ineffective, instead leaving everything to the managers. The managers are rude and insensitive both to the children in general, but also to the fact that their lack of competency is ruining their lives. It appears to be difficult for them to look beyond their own petty egos and their apparent inappropriate greed and focus on the fact that they are responsible for placing children in homes quickly. Slowly and painfully appear to be their motto. Many cases are just dragging on for ages. They apparently have no time to do the simple paperwork, but plenty of time to bother me about where I can sit, stand, or who I can or cannot talk to, where the driver cannot sit, and all other petty little matters constituting severe harassment - making this a pretty miserable experience overall. Thank goodness Sofi is there and the kids are just a ray of sunshine in all of this. It is playing with them everyday that makes it all worthwile. I have really become attached and fond of each one of them. And it is touching that all were so happy to see me today after me having been absent for 5 days - the longest by far I have ever not come to the ashram since May 1.

Finally, a call from the President and an on-site visit from the Treasurer on September 13 led to action on my case - an order that the managers do whatever was missing on my CARA application without any further delays. The petty managers were finally chastised! Suddenly, within about 24 hours, the papers were finished!!! WHat had not been done in almost 3 months was completed in about a day. I could not believe my luck. Fearful of further delays and inaction, I took the papers myself to CARA and they were finally delivered on September 15 to the people in charge. Relief.

I asked CARA when it was likely I could get clearance, I was told to check back in 2 weeks. I made a special trip to Delhi to do just that only to be told they are all out of the office on a conference. There was similarly no action the week before due to a different conference. And once I finally got in to see them this Monday, I was told the person in charge is on leave!

Sadly, my Indian experience has been that it is amazing anything ever gets done. One has to be extremely patient and persistent. And one has to learn to keep a smile on your face even though a child's whole life is at stake and no one seems to make it a priority to move things forward. Overall the ashram is giving these kids a life they could never have dreamed of and they are really really lucky to be here. But more needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment