Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Half the Sky

Some friends gave me a heads up to watch the PBS documentary Half the Sky. It focuses on the oppression of women. One focus is India. Seeing this, it is a horrid reminder of the challenges for women of all classes, but especially the lowest castes. I was able to avoid much of this cultural predetermination in being born to a Sikh family. I have never accepted the caste system as it appears to be so oppressive unless you happen to be able to claim to be a Brahmin. Seeing this, it spurs me on even more to my long standing goal of adoption. I know Tara will come to us, it is frustrating to think it will take a very long time, maybe years. There is so little value given to girls in most Indian families, yet it is near impossible to adopt one of the unwanted girls. But we will. Each day I see Sofi grow tall, and chatty, and I am left in wonder at the amazing little person she is. It breaks my heart to think her family could not keep her. It is their loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment